Monday, February 15, 2010

Maybe there is something in the Book of Mormon that can help me


Oh, my sweet Caleb! I am so impressed with this little 8 year old of mine!

Last week while driving home from school I asked him, like I always do, how school was that day. He takes a deep breath and fighting back tears begins to tell me that right at the end of school things went wrong. A girl in his class thought that Caleb was laughing at her, which he told her that he was not laughing at her. She got upset, told her friends and then a little boy came up to him and pulled his hair. Another girl, defending Caleb was punched in the stomach! They were all crying and feeling very upset, understandably.

I told him that I was sorry for what had happened and asked him what he wanted to do about it? By now, we were at home and talking in the kitchen. He thought about it for a minute and said "maybe there is something in the Book of Mormon that could help me". I sat there, completely overwhelmed at the sweet little boy that I have in my home. I had not even thought to look for an answer there... I know - mother of the year award- again.... not for me! I thought I was the one who is supposed to be the teacher here! But I was taught. And fortunately, I recalled that there was a similar instance like this in Alma 61, when Captain Moroni is accusing the chief governor, Pahoran of seeking power and not supplying enough men and food to their armies. But Moroni has is all wrong and this is what Pahoran said in verse 9

And now, in your epistle you have acensured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart. I, Pahoran, do not bseek for power, save only to retain my judgment-seat that I may preserve the rights and the liberty of my people. My soul standeth fast in that liberty in the which God hath made us cfree.

I explained to Caleb that Moroni had been very harsh to Pahoran, but Pahoran was not upset. I said that you have been falsely accused too... what should you do? And he said, not be upset with her. Things were resolved the next day. Caleb said that he tried to talk to her and she apologized for what had happened.

I am so grateful to be a mom! Caleb is reading his Book of Mormon and is almost done with Mosiah. I love how his tender spirit teaches me!

1 comment:

Mel said...

That totally made me cry! Way to go!