Friday, March 5, 2010

Jace sick and in the hospital

What a miserable week it has been, honestly! (2 weeks ago now) I took Jace into his pediatrician last Thursday morning, because that previous night was terrible. Jace was diagnosed with asthma about a month ago and has been getting all the treatments with his breathing machine and singulair at night. Well, Wednesday night when I got home from my activity, he was coughing and really struggling to breath. I "slept" in his room that night giving him treatments every 4 hours and sitting on the floor in the shower to breathe in the steam as my hot water heater was drained twice that night. I was just trying to keep him alive basically until I saw the doctor the next morning. Looking back, I should have just taken him to the ER- but I didn't know and/or feel like it at 2 am. Anyhow... when we saw the doctor, Jace's pulse ox was lower than 93 (95 -100 is good) and so the doctor told me he is admitting him into the hospital. He called an ambulance to take him. I was freaking out, crying, scared, worried, etc... I had Josh and Luke with me, so fortunately I was able to get my sister in law Erin to come get them from me so that I could go with Jace immediately to the hospital. I ended up not taking the ambulance for him though. The emt's came and strapped his little carseat to the stretcher and took him downstairs. Once outside, I asked them if I could just drive him myself. I had to sign a waiver, but it was worth the $5000 ride. He was breathing and would make the 10 minute drive with our without an ambulance.

We spent the entire day in ER waiting for a room on the pediatrics floor. And around 7 pm, we moved up. And it was there that we remained until Tuesday afternoon. I am getting again just thinking about it. 5 days and nights in the hospital! Jace was on oxygen until Sunday, just trying to keep his pulse ox above 90. I would drop to the low 80's or high 70's in a matter of seconds without his nose piece. The doctor told us that he wouldn't be released to go unless he could maintain a 94 during the day and a 92 at night. Jace's white blood cell counts were very high and so the doctor knew that there was some type of infection in his lungs even though his chest x-ray came back negative for RSV. We were told that he was at the start of a viral phenomnia.

We were finally able to come home on Tuesday, thank goodness! Jace is feeling so much better and we are both happy to be home. The hospital is a miserable place to be! I know that the nurses are nice and all that, but here is what I hated about being there:

1. BORING
2. No privacy
3. Asleep? Who cares? We need to get his blood pressure taken. Really, at 2 am? Leave the kid alone!
4. Bad food
5. Too much TV

Gratefully though... all the nurses were extremely nice and very helpful. They helped Jace get better and that is the most important thing!

Kent took some pictures of him with his IV and oxygen, I will get them off his phone later so that you can all see what a little trooper we have!


2 comments:

Krista Avance said...

That is so scary!! I am so glad he is doing better!!

Jodee said...

Poor little buddy! I am so happy all is well. What a scary time. I feel so out of it, we NEED to talk! I will give you a call next week when we are in our new house ;)